Years in Operation: 1911-1914 Models Built: Havers "Six" 44h.p., 55h.p., and 60h.p. Approximate Number of Cars Built: More than 200 Factory Address: 2760 26th Street, Port Huron, MI(First Plant) Pine Grove & Elmwood(Second Plant) Officers of the Company:
Fred Havers: Founder-President
Ernest Havers: Founder-Car Designer-Factory Superintendent
F.E. Beard: President(Listed in 1911 catalog)
H.L. Stevens: Vice President
Andrew J. Murphy: Secretary and Treasurer
E.R. Harrington: Board
Phillip Higer: Board
E.R. Robinson: Board
Henry McMorran: Advisory Committee
Lincoln Avery: Advisory Committee
H.G. Barnum: Advisory Committee
what can i see today?
There are only 3 Havers cars known to exist. The only example in a public setting is housed at the Wills Ste. Claire Musuem in Marysville. Address: 2408 Wills St., Marysville, MI 48040 Phone: (810) 388-5050 Website: www.willsautomuseum.org/
The first Havers factory was located in the former Port Huron Engine & Thresher Plant No. 3. Address: 2703 28th Street, Port Huron, MI 48060(3401 28th St. today)
The second Havers factory location was the old Northern/E.M.F. plant. The original plant is no longer standing. Address: Elmwood & Pine Grove(Approximate), Port Huron, MI 48060
You can find out more about the Havers Motor Car Company and more Port Huron history by visiting the Port Huron Museums. Address: 1115 6th St., Port Huron, MI 48060 Phone: (810) 982-0891 Website: www.phmuseum.org/
The Havers Motor Car Company was organized in Port Huron in the early spring of 1910. Production started in December of that year in plant #3 of the Port Huron Engine & Thresher Company...
The 1911 model was to be called the Havers "Six". This small booklet was given out at the New York Auto Show where it was shown...
Courtesy of the New York Public Library
In 1912 the company built 200 of the 44h.p. "Six" and seized an opportunity to move into the E.M.F. plant which would increase production capacity...
Production and capital was increasing and new models were being added. For the 1913 model year a 55h.p. version was added and 1914 saw a 60h.p. version as well as a "speed car" version...
The Havers was also heading overseas. This photo shows several Havers in front of the Harrington Hotel which appear to headed for shipping to St. Petersburg, Russia...
In 1914 Lincoln Beachy who was an airplane stunt man was pitting plane against car in exhibitions across the country. Many of the events had Beachy versus Barney Oldfield as seen below who had driven Henry Ford's race cars and broken speed records in Grosse Pointe, Ormond Beach, Florida and other venues. Beachy was to race a stripped down racing version of the Havers...
Photos Courtesy of the Henry Ford Museum
In 1914 a fire destroyed much of the Havers inventory and the building. The company immediately announced that it would rebuild but they did not have the resources to do so.
The equipment was sold for $7500 and the Puritan Machine Company of Detroit bought the rest. Puritan was known for buying inventory of defunct automobile companies and owned remnants of several in that day...